Last Updated on July 18, 2023
by Dr Valeria Lo Iacono
The books listed below are essential reading for anyone going through menopause.
Each one is packed with tips and advice on how to manage the physical and emotional symptoms of this life-changing experience.
1. The Definitive Guide to the Perimenopause & Menopause by Dr Louise Newson
This book by Dr Louise Newson and released in 2023 is a book I have just finished reading and it’s an excellent book. I saw her on British TV and was impressed by what she said so I decided to buy the book. There’s been a lot more written on HRT, the menopause, and the perimenopause lately but this book seems very well-researched and incorporates and discusses many of the recent findings, and explains it all in an understandable way. If you only ever buy one book on menopause, then I’d buy this one by dr Louise Newson.
2. Everything You Need to Know About the Menopause by Kate Muir
One of the first books I read on menopause and it’s extremely informative and easy to read. Kate has vast experience having been involved with menopause studies, research, and TV documentaries on this topic. There is some great advice in this book and it explains the symptoms in detail and really is worth a read.
3. Menopause: The Change for the Better by Deborah Garlick
One of the first mainstream books published on menopause, this book gives you great suggestions on issues such as how to understand the symptoms, approaching your doctor, and dealing with the menopause. It’s written in a way that is easy to understand and there are several great case studies given.
4. Making Friends with the Menopause by Sarah Rayner
Another of the earlier books published on menopause and very much worth a read. It’s co-written with Dr Patrick Fitzgerald and Sarah provides examples from her own experience. There’s a whole lot of information packed into this book and despite being written a few years ago, the book still provides great ideas and information.
5. Taking Charge of Your Menopause by Jennifer Cynthia
This book by Vivian Diller, Ph.D., is quite different from the other books on this list in that Vivian’s book is aimed at how to keep fit during the menopause and how in essence, to deal with it.
6. Hot Flashes, Hormones & Your Health by Joann Manson (Author), Shari Bassuk
This book covers both conventional and alternative treatments. It provides a comprehensive overview of menopause, from biological changes and the effects on psychological well-being to diet advice and lifestyle modifications that can help alleviate symptoms.
7. Menopausing: The Positive Roadmap by Davina McCall & Dr. Naomi Potter
If you are UK-based, then you will very likely have heard of Davina McCall. Davina has presented a couple of television programs in the last few years, looking into all aspects of the menopause and talking about her own experiences. This book is a result of the programs and is an excellent read.
8. What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Menopause by John R. Lee M.D. & Jesse Hanley
Written by three leading experts on natural hormone balance, this book gives a comprehensive overview of menopause and the best options for preventing symptoms. Despite being written a few years ago, this is one of my favorite books written on the menopause.
9. New Menopausal Years by Susun S. Weed
This book is packed with advice on herbal remedies and lifestyle changes that can help reduce the symptoms of menopause. It also includes helpful guidance on how to maintain well-being during this time of life. Lots of very useful tips and recommendations that I found very useful.
10. Cracking the Menopause: While Keeping Yourself Together by Mariella Frostrup and Alice Smellie
A recently written book, Craking the Menopause is all about getting people talking and opening up to understanding this important health-related topic. Another very easy-to-read book with humor thrown in, this book does a great job of explaining the issues so many women suffer, and how to go about dealing with the menopause.
11. The Happy Menopause: Smart Nutrition to Help You Flourish by Jackie Lynch
What we eat and how we manage our nutrition is accepted by all experts on menopause as being important. Whilst eating the right food will not solve all symptoms, it can greatly help. Learn about how to manage your sugar levels, how to eat the right foods, and improve your sleep, stress levels, and your overall well-being during menopause.
12. The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup
This comprehensive guide helps women understand the physiological changes that occur during menopause, as well as provides useful natural remedies. Dr Christiane Northrup is well respected as an expert in menopause and it’s interesting although it’s a thick book that for me is not as easy as the other books above to read. I like Christiane’s work though in the area of menopause and it is still worth a read.
- How to Start with a Positive Mindset When Managing Employees - August 4, 2023
- 12 Ways to Stop Bullying Happening in the Workplace as a Manager - July 28, 2023
- How to Make a Successful Midlife Career Change in Your 30s, 40s, or 50s - July 17, 2023